When parents and adult children decide to live together it is easy to slide into old patterns of dependencies and expectations. Here are six tips for managing sharing housing. The original list came from an article that was linked. The link is now gone but the tips are here.
The six tips are:
- Talk about it before you do it
- Appreciate that individuals need privacy and plan how they will get it
- Talk about tasks and finances and how they will be divided up
- Respect individual needs
- Have regular family meetings to talk about how it’s working
- Be flexible. Negotiate and compromise.
All these tips are to help adults balance the forces of power and control, responsibility and dependence that are so strong between parents and children. If you approach the arrangement thoughtfully you can do very well.
Families can be complicated. They can also be fabulous. They share a culture, history and love. Love is the elusive, intangible and essential element.